CoTU withdraws shutdown, NPO follows suit

The Committee on Tribal Unity (CoTU) has withdrawn its 24-hour total shutdown along Asian Highway-2 (Imphal–Dimapur) and National Highway-37 (Imphal–Jiribam) in the larger interest of peace and inter-tribal harmony.
The shutdown, which began at midnight on January 27, was called to protest the alleged failure of the Manipur government to arrest those involved in the Republic Day arson attack at K Songlung Village, Part-II.
According to CoTU, the withdrawal followed internal deliberations and consultations with various stakeholders, as well as a joint declaration issued by the United Naga Council (UNC) and Kuki Inpi Manipur (KIM) at Kangpokpi on January 27. The declaration appealed for dialogue and constructive engagement between communities to prevent further escalation of tensions.
CoTU said it unanimously decided to stand by the UNC–KIM peace initiative, describing it as a crucial step towards strengthening inter-community relations. The shutdown, originally scheduled to continue until midnight of January 28, was withdrawn with immediate effect.
Earlier in the day, women volunteers were seen enforcing the shutdown in parts of Kangpokpi town and Gamgiphai, resulting in the suspension of vehicular movement and the closure of markets, educational institutions and other routine activities.
Meanwhile, reciprocating the withdrawal call, the Naga People’s Organisation (NPO) also lifted its counter bandh with immediate effect on humanitarian grounds and in the larger interest of social harmony and public peace in the region.
NPO had alleged that the CoTU shutdown caused severe inconvenience and hardship to Naga commuters, adding a fresh dimension to the evolving situation.
It also alleged that CoTU volunteers failed to ensure such humanitarian exemptions, causing severe hardship to the general public.
Such actions are not only unjustifiable but also inhumane, as they directly endanger human lives and obstruct critical humanitarian needs. It is an undeniable fact that nearly 99% of commuters on NH-02 belong to Senapati District, making the so-called “total shutdown” appear, in effect, as a form of targeted harassment against the innocent general public of Senapati District, it said.
Despite repeated appeals and requests made by the NPO to ensure humanitarian exemptions and public safety, most of these appeals were ignored by the volunteers on the ground. Under such circumstances, the NPO was compelled to initiate a counter-agitation as an immediate and necessary step to protect the rights, safety, and dignity of the general public, it said.
The NPO warned that any agitation which crosses the boundary of humanity by targeting a particular community will never be compromised under any circumstances.
However, on humanitarian grounds and in the larger interest of social harmony and public peace in the region, the NPO said it lifted the counter-agitation with immediate effect.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *